Can’t sing? Can’t play an instrument? You can still fill an important role in Portland Opera!
Volunteers are a valued and integral part of Portland Opera. They play a vital role by helping our artists, supporting productions, reducing costs and providing skilled assistance in virtually every department. Their hard work and generosity keeps the beauty and passion of opera alive.
Volunteer opportunities with Portland Opera include:
- Costumed Greeter: You can be friendly and outgoing to Portland Opera patrons entering the theater, and be able to stand for an extended period of time.
- Supernumerary: You can be on stage in a non-singing and non-speaking role in an opera – like an extra in the movies. Supers must be available for the entire evening rehearsal schedule and for each performance. Acting experience is a plus, but not required. Apply here.
- Light-walkers: Imagine you are an opera star, standing-in on stage for artists and/or scenery while the lighting designer adjusts and focuses the lights. You must be able to sit, stand, kneel, lay and/or hold props for an extended period of time.
- Backstage Beverage Service: Experience an opera from behind the scenes hosting our complimentary coffee canteen service for the artists, choristers, musicians and production staff during opera rehearsals and performances in the Keller Auditorium. You will set up, maintain and clean up the service so you must be able to do some lifting, go up and down stairs and move quickly.
EDUCATION & PATRON EVENTS – VARIOUS LOCATIONS
Outgoing and friendly volunteers are needed to help us share the magic of opera with young people and thank those that support this great opera company by helping at special events, including:
- Greeting and coat check
- Decorations and flower arranging
- Taking pictures
- Assistance with set up and take down
BEHIND THE SCENES – THE HAMPTON OPERA CENTER
- Support: We always need help with mailings, photocopying media articles, collating documents, easy data entry, filing, proofreading, graphic design, and catering assistance for meetings and small events at The Hampton Opera Center.
- Community: Distributing posters, soliciting in-kind donations, promoting ticket sales for special events.
BENEFITS OF BEING A PORTLAND OPERA VOLUNTEER
Volunteers enjoy meeting new friends who share a common interest, the fascinating and magical world of opera! Volunteer benefits may include:
- Discounted single tickets to opera productions
- One ticket to a Dress Rehearsal, based on availability
- Name listed in one program for the season
- Invitation to the annual Volunteer Appreciation Party
Fill out a volunteer application online here
Download a volunteer application here
Click here for instructions on scheduling volunteer shifts
This newsletter is created by Portland Opera volunteers.
Download the volunteer newsletter using the links below.
June 2014 Edition