We work hard year-round to give the opera many faces and bring it to every corner of our region. From performances in schools to radio broadcasts to previews at libraries, no company delves more deeply into its community than does Portland Opera.
Portland Opera is a proud member of OPERA America.
Portland Opera To Go
Portland Opera To Go provides children and families with the opportunity to engage in the rewarding world of opera by bringing high-quality, accessible programming to communities throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Public performances of Portland Opera To Go productions are offered at the Hampton Opera Center as well as at several other venues around the state. For more information on this program and a list of upcoming events go here.
In-school performances are often accompanied by special pre-show classroom sessions and take place from September – December.
Resident Artist Community Performances
In 2005, Portland Opera established the Resident Artist Program, which provides a bridge from the conservatory world to the professional stage. These talented young singers join the company for a rigorous residency and training program. The Resident Artists give intimate art song recitals at the Portland Art Museum each year, as well as singing at many season previews, individual production previews, and other community-based events.
Mezzo-soprano Kate Farrar returns to the program for the 2018 season, while we welcome three new Resident Artists—soprano Helen Huang, tenor Thomas Cilluffo, and bass Shi Li. Learn more about upcoming performances here.
- 6/5/18Resident Artist Recital: Soprano Helen HuangMore Info »
- 8/1/18Resident Artist Recital: Tenor Thomas CilluffoMore Info »
- 6/3/18Faust Preview: Multnomah County LibraryMore Info »
- 7/8/18La Cenerentola Preview: Multnomah County LibraryMore Info »
- 7/25/18Simulcast: Rossini’s La CenerentolaMore Info »
- 7/7/18Opera a la Cart Pop-Up: Oregon City LibraryMore Info »
- 7/8/18Opera a la Cart in the VineyardMore Info »
- 7/14/18Cinderella Celebration and Sing-a-longMore Info »
- 7/14/18Opera a la Cart in the VineyardMore Info »
- 7/18/18Umpqua Bank + Portland Opera Ice Cream SocialMore Info »
Opera Previews in Portland
Opera Previews are held at multiple venues leading up to each production. Nicholas Fox, our Chorus Master and Assistant Conductor, and our Resident Artists will tantalize you with music from and insightful information on the upcoming production. Check our calendar for upcoming events!
Opera Talks at the Theater
General Director Christopher Mattaliano hosts an informal introduction to the opera you’re about to enjoy on the first balcony one hour before each performance. Following the opera, audience members are encouraged to move to the front of the orchestra level for a Q&A session with cast members.
Rush Tickets & Student Dress Rehearsal
One of the greatest deals around!
Rush tickets are available the day of each performance, starting at noon, to students, seniors over age 62, and active military personnel.
• $10 for students and active military personnel
• $20 for seniors over age 62
• Three tickets per qualifying purchaser
• Photo ID is required at Will Call
• Rush tickets are non-refundable, non-transferable
For more information, call our Patron Services team at 503-241-1802, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm.
Portland Opera also offers dress rehearsal tickets to school groups for most productions. For more information, call 503-321-5261.
Family Guide to Mainstage Opera
We encourage you to gauge your child’s level of comfort with sitting quietly and considerately through a production. Keep in mind that productions can vary in length anywhere from two to three hours and often deal with mature themes. You know your child best! All patrons, including children, must be ticketed for the performance.