What did you think of TOSCA?

Now that you've seen TOSCA, tell us what you think and see what others have to say.  

You can also see what people are saying on Facebook and Twitter

If you liked the show, please tell your friends!  Most opera lovers were first introduced to the art form by a friend or relative. 

Haven't seen TOSCA yet?  We still have great tickets for the remaining performances.  Purchase tickets online, or call our box office at 503-241-1802 (m-f, 9-5).

We read your posts with great interest and appreciation.  You won't see comments from us because this is your space to speak your mind and connect with other patrons.  Know that we are listening.  We value your feedback and always take your comments into consideration.  Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us - just scroll to the bottom to add your comment!

Comments:

Whether or not you've

Whether or not you've witnessed Tosca a hundred times, move discover this specific generation at Portland Internet explorer. As well as amazing comments, Kara Shay Thompson, Roger Honeywell as well as Mark Schnaible have wonderful outfit biochemistry and biology which makes Puccini's melodramatic masterwork utterly simpler.
As well as director Brian Kneuss delivers an excellent contact for the second work, following the evil, potent, lustful Scarpia features told her i would free of charge the girl significant other in the event that Tosca will probably distribute to help Scarpia's holds.latest hindi movies list Throughout preceding stage productions I've truly witnessed, Tosca appears ahead of Scarpia's workspace, answering his terse questions seeing that this individual creates the actual protected passing page that will allow Tosca as well as Cavaradossi to help leave The italian capital. Scarpia surface finishes writing as well as rises to help state his repayment. Tosca works through him or her, views a new utensil on his dining room table, as well as impulsively…etc.

I thought Tosca was an

I thought Tosca was an awesome performance, including the stage setting which is something I usually don't care too much about...it definitely kept my attention the whole time. Scarpia, man that guy was one evil dude, and the guy playing the role was great at it (he got playful boo's from the standing ovation so that should be saying something). I totally agree with other comments: "welcome back to classic opera" :-).

Everybody sang. Everybody

Everybody sang. Everybody died. It was GRAND!

Well, I agree that a

Well, I agree that a conventional staging was enjoyable to see. Costumes and sets really nice. I also felt the conducting left something to be desired. Best voice on stage was the Sacristan - turned Recondita armonia into a duet - which he won! I thought the chorus did well - but the opera really hinges on the three leads. Odd direction especially in the second act. Scarpia manipulates during the whole act (except his death) and the director had him pushing and shoving and standing between Tosca and Cavaradossi keeping her from seeing Cavaradossi - all wrong... and when Scarpia tries to mount Tosca on the recomier - give me a break.
Not shocking - just turned the scene into a farce. Really, tsk, tsk, tsk. My first Tosca was Gobbi directing at Chicago Lyric back in 1982 - this one will probably be my last...

My only other opera was La

My only other opera was La boheme. After Tosca, I finally get it. Opera provides a venue for appreciating the voice as a musical instrument with the narrative offering a window into the human condition. Nothing new here except it was for me.

What a relief to have a

What a relief to have a traditional production of one of the great masterpieces of opera. Although the voices were a little shaky at times, overall the singing and acting were fine at the Saturday night performance. The voices came over loud and clear, and were not overwhelmed by the orchestra. One big complaint about the audience. Please, please, please let the orchestra finish before starting to applaud an aria. We attend opera for the complete musical experience, and that does NOT include clapping and shouting "brava" and/or "bravo" before the final notes.

Tonight's might have been the

Tonight's might have been the best of Tosca. First, the pre-show spiel was not too long. Then, the orchestra drowned out the voices only occasionally. Finally, it felt like real opera, not a lowering of standards in an attempt to reach out to texters.

After the dull attempt at

After the dull attempt at "challenging" us with Don Giovanni, Tosca was a welcome and very enjoyable relief. We've even gone so far as to think about next season...

This was my first time seeing

This was my first time seeing Tosca, and I loved it! The sets, costume, singing, acting, music - all fabulous! I had a bit of difficulty hearing the singers in the first act (the music was a little overpowering), but it improved in acts 2 & 3. The audience was so into the plot that Mark Schnaible (Scarpia) got booed and applauded at the same time! (love to hate those villains!) Kudos to all on a wonderful performance.

The performance last night,

The performance last night, Thursday February 7, was ruined by the misconducting of the orchestra. Did the singers have great voices? Who would know? The orchestra with a few exceptions in Acts 2 and 3 played so loudly the singers were completely drowned out! The orchestra should support not eliminate the singing! This was a very disappointing performance that I would not recommend to anyone.

The first act was ruined by

The first act was ruined by the conductor. He blasted away at full bore and the voices were totally lost. The orchestra is supposed to support the singers not compete with them. Why did Chris let this happen? There was better control in the other acts but the disaster of the first act really spoiled it for me and my companion.

My husband and I saw Tosca on

My husband and I saw Tosca on Friday. There was no way we were going to miss it! We truly enjoyed it and did not mind what seemed to be longer intermissions (perhaps due to scenery changes). It was also such a relief after Don Giovanni. By the way we did not like last year's interpretation of Turandot, although the music was wonderful. If one more person banged his head against that wall, I would have screamed. Excuse my divergence to a previous season, but I finally figured out how to post a comment.

In contradistinction to the

In contradistinction to the Don Giovanni, this production demonstrated the virtues of a staging that respected the era, the music, and the useful conventions of the past. The choreography of Puccini's score was magnificently translated into stage action, down to step and gesture, as he would have wanted. The singing was admirable, and the orchestra has never played better or expressively. The maestro was sensational.

I never weighed in on the Don Giovanni. If one could have closed one's eyes it would have been excellent: young singers singing roles perfect for the But the staging was offensive when it wasn't simply absurd & the endless groping and patting was tedious and antithetical to the music and the book. Giovanni was an 18th c. gallantuomo, not an modern maniac with a sex addiction.

Robert A. Nye

Magnificent!! Thank you,

Magnificent!! Thank you, thank you, to Portland Opera, Chris, Kara Shay Thompson, David Kneuss, and all the rest who made this production possible. You have reaffirmed for me what opera is all about. I was spellbound and transported, inspired, and emotionally exhausted (in the best possible sense). Bravissimo!

A very nice performance. The

A very nice performance. The singers got better in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Floria was delightful.

Could someone PLEASE ask Chris to stop delaying the show by coming out? He didn't do this his first couple of years (except to lower audience expectations of some "ill" cast member). If he wants to ramble for 15 minutes, why doesn't he start at 7:15p? Have enough respect for your audience to start on time. Please.

We probably would have renewed our subscription if he hadn't bloviated.

Saw Tosca Sunday afternoon

Saw Tosca Sunday afternoon and was greatly delighted. I really liked the older setting that I'm more used to. I have nothing against most minimalist settings but it's nice to see the older ones too. The singing was superb especially Tosca. Scarpia was a bit weak in the first act or the orchestra was too loud but it greatly improved in the 2nd and 3rd acts. This was one of the great Portland Opera productions. Bravo!!

An inspired performance with

An inspired performance with more than one tear shed by this erstwhile patron. So far beyond prior performances by the Portland Opera, this presentation alone has awakened a restored desire to see more. I only hope that the quality and standard set by this production becomes the past which is prologue for the Portland Opera and Symphony. Bravo!

I loved Tosca! The music was

I loved Tosca! The music was gorgeous, the characters alive, the sets larger than life and absolutely fantastic! This was the best production I have seen at Portland Opera yet! If you are considering seeing this, do it. It was a classic, traditional rendition of an incredibly emotional Opera. Bravo!

Welcome back to classic

Welcome back to classic opera. Tosca was a delight after the debacle of Don Giovanni. Of course Tosca is Puccini at his best and he is always the best in any crowd and everything about this production lived up to the reputation. Keep this level of quality coming and my wive and I will be back season after season.

Even if you've seen Tosca a

Even if you've seen Tosca a hundred times, go see this production at Portland Opera. In addition to wonderful voices, Kara Shay Thompson, Roger Honeywell and Mark Schnaible have terrific ensemble chemistry that makes Puccini's melodramatic masterpiece utterly convincing.

And director David Kneuss brings a brilliant touch to the second act, after the evil, powerful, lustful Scarpia has offered to free her lover if Tosca will submit to Scarpia's embraces. In previous productions I've seen, Tosca stands before Scarpia's desk, answering his terse questions as he writes the safe passage letter that will enable Tosca and Cavaradossi to leave Rome. Scarpia finishes writing and rises to claim his payment. Tosca runs from him, sees a knife on his dining table, and impulsively…etc.

Last night, Tosca stood by the dining table as Scarpia wrote. She set her wine glass on the table—in super-slow motion. Watching, one can tell that she sees the knife as she struggles to discover a way out of her impossible dilemma.

Scarpia rises from his desk and approaches her, safe passage letter in hand. As he reaches to embrace her, she makes her decision: "Questo è il bacio di Tosca!"